Chef David’s Korean Style Lettuce Wraps with King Trumpet Mushrooms and Creamy Miso Phyter Sauce
Serves 2, as appetizers (double for meal portions)
Ingredients – Lettuce Wraps
- Head of red or green leaf lettuce, (or Botanic Garden’s August’s featured seed to plant is the All-American Selections Winner “Sandy” lettuce) cleaned, dried, and separated
- 1 cup of cooked short grain rice, cooled
- 1 Tablespoon of rice wine vinegar
- 1 Teaspoon of coconut sugar or nectar
- ½ teaspoon of sea salt
- 4 large trumpet king mushrooms (can use Portobello as substitute) washed, dried, and bottom end trimmed off. Cut into thin slices
- 1-2 Tablespoons of coconut oil or olive oil
- 1 stalk of green onions, washed and sliced thinly
- 2 inches of cucumber, cleaned and julienned thinly
- Salt and pepper for seasoning mushrooms
- Optional – Thai basil or regular basil and cilantro
- Optional – Toasted sesame seeds and/or chopped nut/peanuts
Ingredient – Creamy Miso Phyter Sauce
- 2 Berries + Peanut Butter Phyter Bars
- 1 Tablespoon of white miso paste
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 teaspoon of rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon of tamari or soy sauce
- 2 teaspoon of coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon of finely chopped and peeled ginger
- 1 clove of garlic
- 2-3 tablespoons of plant-based milk (add more or less for desired consistency)
- 2 teaspoon of toasted sesame oil
- Optional – to make spicier, 1 teaspoon of add chili paste
- Cook brown rice (use rice cooker or pasta method: boil in large pot for 30 minutes and drain, put back into pot and close with lid for 10 minute). Set aside and cool to room temperature.
- Season cooled rice by putting it into a large bowl. Season with rice wine vinegar, coconut sugar, and salt. Set aside.
- Heat a large pan to high. After couple minutes, add oil, and lower heat to medium-high.
- Sauté king mushrooms in an even layer, do not over fill pan. Cook each side about 3-4 minutes until juices cook out of mushrooms.
- Set aside cooked mushroom on a plate, season lightly with a pinch of salt and pepper. Let cool.
- Make creamy sauce by adding the Phyters, miso paste, lime juice, rice wine vinegar, tamari, coconut sugar, ginger, garlic, and sesame oil in a blender. Blend on high, slowly drizzle plant-based milk while blending to desired consistency. Set aside in small bowl.
- Start plating the wrap by plating the lettuce leaves on a plate. Spoon the seasoned rice onto the lettuce, and lay mushrooms on top of rice. Lay cucumbers and green onions on top of the mushrooms. Add any optional ingredients to garnish.
- Spoon sauce over the lettuce wrap.
- Pick up lettuce and wrap into a tight ball/package and enjoy!